I really wanted at least *something* new for the Goderich Celtic Festival, and Summerfolk the weekend following (Only three clear days between them, and there is an offload and re-pack in there too.)
The ideal would be to have something as completed objects that represented the three months I spent on the Bloom To Bar project:
|Starting billets - bloom iron with spring steel cores|
|Rough forged blade blanks|
In the lower image, the two blanks are at different stages in completion.
The top blade has had the blade profile roughed out, and the first pass on forging the edge completed. The hilt is only vaguely shaped at this point however.
The bottom blade is complete in its forging. I had ground the rough forging to the basic lines I wanted for the finished knife. I find it easier to check for warps and wobbles if I do this first. Then the blade was forged again, first to correct any irregularities, second to refine the edge. (Forge thin - grind thinner). It is now ready to be surface ground, then the finished surface to be created on the belt sanders. Then heat treated. Then finish polishing. (The actual forging out of the knife shape is by far the fastest part of the whole process!)
Stay tuned for images of the completed knives...
(Edited from a longer post on Hammered Out Bits.)